• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

Artemis posted this in the Fée Verte Forum a year or two ago. I colorized it & I'm not ashamed. The artist is S. Clay Wilson, who once lived in Lincoln NE.

Attached Files

#2 SilverFish

SilverFish

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

Is this part of a series or a strip?
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allen Poe

#3 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

It was in a strip with the title A Ball in the Bung Hole, which appeared in ZAP Comix #4.

#4 SilverFish

SilverFish

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Great art. The reason I asked, is it looks a lot like the style on Big Brother and The Holding Company's album cover for Cheap Thrills.

This cover was done by Robert Crumb, who, it turns out, after a move to Fan Fran, started Zap Comix in 1968. He also did the "Keep on Truckin' " guy.

Any way, I am a comic-nerd a heart. My father used to work with Crumb at American Greetings, back home in Cleveland, and our house was full of his work. My mother still has a box or two of it around somewhere.

Small world.

Attached Files

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allen Poe

#5 Grey Boy

Grey Boy

The Snitty One™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

Never heard of him ;)
Posted Image
I'm gonna meet pierreverte!

#6 hectma

hectma

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

Robert who?
Posted Image
Silverfish, I am insanely jealous of your father now. The only comic-related person my dad worked with was Harvey Pekar, and the less said about that the better...
“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.” -- Charles Bukowski

#7 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

My father used to work with Crumb at American Greetings, back home in Cleveland, and our house was full of his work.  My mother still has a box or two of it around somewhere

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A box full of old R. Crumb originals? It couldn't possibly be worth anything. You should just call your mom and tell her to throw that stuff out, along with your old toys, and Grandpa's stupid old collection of Fabergé eggs.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#8 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:51 AM

Better yet, she could send it to me for proper disposal. Old Crumb art must be disposed of VERY carefully.
I don't want to take over the world. Just poke at it, make it twitch.

#9 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:53 AM

My dad hasn't worked with any cartoonists, but I have worked with Mark Bode (along with the Vaughn Bode estate), Guy Davis and Neil Gaiman.

#10 hectma

hectma

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

I love Guy Davis. The Marquis was beautiful and disturbing. I think his style would lend itself well towards cartoons depicting the rise and fall of absinthe in France.
“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there.” -- Charles Bukowski

#11 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

Terry Zwigoff's movie about Crumb is one of the best documentaries I know of. It reveals that Robert is the normal one in that family.
+

#12 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, Robert comes out looking like "Marilyn", the strangely out-of-place debutante sister that lived with the Munsters.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#13 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:12 PM

This is the piece that I did with Guy Davis. Neil Gaiman liked it so much, he called his editor about it. They wanted to do it as a series, but Guy wanted to do it as a one off. Plus he didn't think Vertigo would go for the concept of a crossdressing Alice.

#14 Nepenthes

Nepenthes

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

This is the piece that I did with Guy Davis. Neil Gaiman liked it so much, he called his editor about it. They wanted to do it as a series, but Guy wanted to do it as a one off. Plus he didn't think Vertigo would go for the concept of a crossdressing Alice.

Attached Files

#15 hectma

hectma

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

Vertigo might not go for it, but IDW definitely would. It's completely up their alley.

#16 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

Damn, that's a sweet one!
+

#17 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

Makes Poor Choices

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

My father used to work with Crumb at American Greetings, back home in Cleveland, and our house was full of his work.  My mother still has a box or two of it around somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd you should mention that. A box of Crumb originals happens to be the exact cost of admission for LautrecFest. ;)

#18 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

Another S.Clay Wilson:

#19 Cinquantenaire

Cinquantenaire

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I was hoping that the original picture posted by Guillaume Lanfray would be viewable.  Alas, this seems to no longer be accessible.

It was the same thing that introduced me to absinthe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association