Wujiman

Betina Wittels

OK so I've been in contact with Betina Wittels, who says she has an antique ice carafe for sale. The price seems somewhat high at $400, but then antiques can be expensive. But I'm a bit worried that this may be a bad deal. Does anyone know if she is reliable, she seems to think she's "the Empress" which also worries me!post-588-1143685817_thumb.jpg

Unless you really want that carafe, avoid Bettina. Do a search of Bettina (Betty Wittels) at Fee Verte, Louched Lounge, and here to get an idea of why. I would take that picture over to Oxy's site/forum and see if you can get a real answer as to authenticity and pricing.

This person has a very poor reputation as a seller of over-priced and sometimes questionable Absinthe and related goods. You will not hear any positive comments about her on this forum.

Do a search on her name. There are many threads with information about her. None of it is positive.

I'm not trying to be unpleasant, but I'd suggest that we all try that SEARCH tool whenever we have a question for the forum. That way you can learn what we've already shared on a given subject. THEN ask any question that wasn't covered in your research or that you want to learn more about.

You'll get your info faster.

And it gets old thrashing and re-hashing the same well-worn subjects so very often. I'm honestly trying to be polite and helpful :)

And I'm real tired of Betty as a subject.

Edited by Saucier

It's a carafe allright and it is separable at the middle there by the metal ring. Easier to clean out I guess. I've seen a few go on ebay for less than that. I consider $400 to be too much, but the carafe as such is ok. Can't tell the age though.

As Hartsmar says, the carafe is OK (although you'd have to check whether the screw seal is watertight). You'd struggle to pay more than $100 for one on eBay though.

IMHO, for $400, you should get a plane ticket to Tucson, go to Betty's house, and leave a bag filled with fresh poo on her doorstep, light it on fire, then run away with a look on your face like the one in my avatar.

<-------------|

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate having all of your experience to draw on. That money is now dedicated to the more worthy cause of building a good collection of Absinthes.

A worthy cause it is.

I agree with myownmolly.

Antiques are nice but like everything else you need to know what you're looking at.

Oxy's site is terrific.