Sign in to follow this  
Werewolf7

Hangover Blues!

O.K.! I did a search for hangovers or headaches & no old posts related to this directly, so what's the deal? Is it just me or when you guys drink absinthe, do you feel horrible the next day?

I wake up feeling like death warmed over. I have a pounding headache & a total feeling of blah all over. I had a friend over & we drank some & he felt the same way as well.

I can drink, mind you, quite a bit. Lots of rum, vodka, tequila, and the sort but I never have the feeling that i do w/ absinthe.

Anyone else have this issue?

Nope, no hangover.

Of course, there was the time not long ago, when Maggie forced me to drink 47 glasses of absinthe and I woke up Drunk. I made her coffee and breakfast and everything was great.

Too subtle? :devil: You know that ol' joke, "I woke up Grumpy...and boy was she pissed?"

Awww, never mind.

If I'm going to be at the house, I'll drink 6 to 8, shot & a half of absinthe drinks. Mixed about 2 to 1, 2 sugar cubes. The stuff I'm drinking now is 72%, which, I'm sure, plays a huge part in my hangover.

One of the first things I started liking about pastis, and then absinthe, is that I can't seem to get a hangover from either of them, no matter how much I drink. I guess it's genetic. I get sick as a dog after a night of gin, or red wine. But absinthe I can drink all night long.

In the thread that HK linked to, Drinkboy mentioned THIS book. I bought it, read it, and learned a LOT from it.

Yes it louche's quite nicely. I'm drinking L'Emercier Abisithe [sic] Absinthe Amer.

At last, some help in the effort to Restore the Balance.

But it's properly called Lemercier Abisinthe 72 Amer. It's certainly not called "absinthe" as that would be illegal in France.

...do you feel horrible the next day? 

Oddly enough today is that "next day" for me. Last night I had a glass of: CLB, Monty, Eddy, and VdF each, in that order. I woke up dehydrated and queasy with a pounding headache. The headache and the dehydrated feeling have gone, but the queasiness remains. :(

I rarely get hangovers, and never before from absinthe...but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Sorry to disappoint you G&C, but it louches just fine. If you want, I'll take a picture & post it. Not trying to be an ass, but I'm just sayin'. I'm not making it up.

I fell surprisingly okay after a night of what ends up to be oblivion(4-5 drinks-I am a light weight). Perhaps it's because I've limited myself due to either the amount or price of the drink. With scotch, I feel not so good. That's really my only other drink.

With really good wine, I find that I have no problem either.

1oz Amer and 2oz water and it louches?

If you say so I won't argue.

I just don't remember it louching that fast is all.

:drunk: There is one recommendation that has been with me as long as I can remember ....... after a long night of drinking and before passing out, always drink water till you can't anymore. FWIW

Usually after drinking alchohol, I drink a glass of water and take a couple aspirin before retiring. Just in case.

It isn't earth shattering advice but it seems to help me.

Moderation helps.

Hangovers are a bitch. Quality Absinthe helps me keep the bitch at bay.

IMHO

:cheers:

Hey G&C I'm sorry for the hassle, man. I'm the new guy here & I know it's my place to take some razzing. I don't mind. I'm here to learn & meet new friends. What I do is mix mine at about 1 & a half shot of absinthe to about 3 of ice cold water. That should be the same as 2 to 1, I would think. Maybe the extra half does something, I don't know. My glass isn't very big & doesn't hold a lot. It's full after my mix. The absinthe is a clear green & turns milky white after the water, and I love it!! That's all that matters. No worries, man!