JBPfranc

Absinthe - now an underground scene?

I have lots of exp in underground zines - or are these pointless now due to these forums? Would we even want one? I could have it all along the West coast.

Then its important to get the info to more people than just the ones on the absinthe forums. You'll get nowhere without informing people of the truth and trust me - make a loud enough issue of the stupid gov. ban on it and people will begin to listen. How many states have legalized pot for medical purposes? It's the same thing people - you want to bring it loud and keep bringing it. Europe, as usual, is much farther ahead than we are. Don't just sit there sneaking shipments in - stand up and contact your masters,err, government, and let them know how stupid it is. Write your newspapers and keep writing. Contact everyone you can with the REAL information - become your own source of inspiration - become the media.

Hmm, Absinthe zine...sounds like something someone from Alandia would put out???

Information about absinthe is getting out, take many of the recent quality articles about absinthe, such as the one that has strained LDF's shipping abilities. Talking to the gov doesn't do much good, medical marijuana required the passing of bills. In absinthe's case it's the FDA we need to talk to and I bet they don't do anything without a legal challenge.

Who do you mean by "we?"

Aww..c'mon! The Absinthe Syndicate™, of course.

I need enlightenment. How do I get the trademark on there properly?

Edited by Hiram

I have lots of exp in underground zines - or are these pointless now due to these forums? Would we even want one? I could have it all along the West coast.

I see banned people.

Talking around like regular people... :shock:

trust me - make a loud enough issue of the stupid gov. ban on it and people will begin to listen. How many states have legalized pot for medical purposes?

Um, none. Two have tried, and the feds put a permanent damper on that. States cannot make legal what the federal government expressly prohibits. They can only choose not to prosecute, if it happens to be criminal.

Yeah but do I get a prize for winning the Jello Biafra trivia contest?

I was shocked when Montana voted 2 to 1 to legalize medical marijuana. This is a red state but very independent. Despite the Feds opinion, the Attorney General made it very clear his job was to uphold the election. The last report I heard, almost 150 patients had received the prescription.

Um, none.  Two have tried, and the feds put a permanent damper on that.  States cannot make legal what the federal government expressly prohibits.  They can only choose not to prosecute, if it happens to be criminal.

Not entirely accurate. While it is still illegal on the Federal level, local state laws vary; and a number of states have passed legislation legalizing it within their own borders, generally for medical purposes only. This means that it exists in a quasi-legal status somewhat similar to prescription medications, as far as the state is concerned. Although it's still possible for federal agents to sieze, arrest, and prosecute for production, possession, and distribution; they cannot mandate the assistance of local law-enforcement the way they can in other states. There was a test of this in California a few years back; with federal agents demanding that the San Francisco PD assist them in one of their large busts. The SFPD successfully refused to cooperate in any way; and IIRC the city government attempted to get the bust quashed (not as successfully).

There is no quasi-legal status for medical marijuana. The Supreme Court ruled in Raich v. Ashcroft that the interstate commerce clause trumped state and local authority in this matter. Interestingly, two of the Court's most conservative Justices, Rehnquist, and Thomas, dissented in the 6-3 ruling.

Local Authorities do make their own priorities, or priorities may be set for them by the public they serve. With some well-publicized exceptions, medical marijuana is ususally not a high-priority "crime" in those states which have tried to make it available to patients.

The original assertion (by JBPfranc posing as Jello, remember) was that pot had been legalized, which started the debate. It hasn't, it's still a federal crime, all over the country. Whether or not a given authority chooses to prosecute that crime and to what degree, is a separate issue.