hectma

VdF, Better with Age?

I've had an opened bottle of VdF sitting on my shelf for well over a year now. At the time people were raving about it, but after two glasses I just couldn't get past the strange "grassy" funk. So it has remained untouched for quite some time. On a whim tonight I decided to give it another try, and I have to say it was MUCH better.

I have read several complaints that the VdF ages horribly, but mine seems to have done quite well for itself. Here's what I've noticed:

- The nose is far less complex than it was before, and it lacks some of the floral elements it once had.

- The color before water has changed dramatically from an olive green to a brownish-greenish tint.

- Much of the bitterness and "grassy" taste are gone.

Has anyone else kept a bottle of the VdF this long, and if so, did they notice similar improvements?

I'll admit that my first sniff of the bottle was not pleasant. I smelled more alcohol and less herbal aroma. I almost didn't try it because of that. But I honestly think time has made it better.

I just recently opened a bottle that's almost a year old, at first it had some funk to it, probably from the cork. After a couple drinks and a new cork it went away. Re-tasting the VDF again I think my recommendations of it lessened.

It seems the french like Pastis-like absinthe. The VDF has some hidden complexities but it seems closer to a bitterish pastis than other absinthe I've tried.

- The nose is far less complex than it was before, and it lacks some of the floral elements it once had. 

- The color before water has changed dramatically from an olive green to a brownish-greenish tint. 

I noticed both of those things in my VdF bottle over time (albeit less time than yours, maybe 6months) but I did not consider them to be improvements. I think it got more bitter and less palatable. New and fresh, I liked it just fine. I would order it again as a less expensive Absinthe but I would try to get through it before "The Change."

Next to the Montmartre or CLB, I still really like the VdF. I haven't had any of the Jades yet, so I don't have those to compare it to, but it tastes really good to me. I like the grassy, overwhelming herbal quality it has. It hasn't had that much time to age though, so I can't really comment on that...

I noticed both of those things in my VdF bottle over time (albeit less time than yours, maybe 6months) but I did not consider them to be improvements.

I don't really consider those two changes to be improvements either. However I do feel that the taste (while it is perhaps not as complex as it once was) is a major improvement. It seems like this really comes down to how bitter one likes their absinthe and if they enjoy that grassy taste that comes with the VdF.

The VDF develops such a lovely feuille mort when it ages. :huh:

A attribute favored in regards to vintage bottles...one year no, but vintage bottles yes.

Stomp, I think you will like the jades more when you get to try them. I just checked my year old bottle and the complexity in the nose has diminished; there is still that harsh scent either from the herbs used or the substrate being employed.

I didn't like VDF much when I first tasted it, but I attributed it to my inexperience at the time. I tried it again when I was visiting Seattle (probably the same bottle Hiram still has), and I still wasn't very impressed. The base alcohol's a bit harsh, and but the flavour is almost too smooth. There's not enough intensity to the flavour.

It's certainly a step up from the Un Emiles, but it's most definately not in the top tier with the currently-raved-about commercial offerings.

Personally I find that age only betters this drink. Unlike most, I have an affinity for VdF; it was my first. I like that it has darkened, and enjoyed the last drink. Also, unlike most, (crud, I should try writing this when a *tad* bit more sober, as it would perhaps take less time)I haven't tried a lot of the 'better' drinks, so I actually like the VdF. But I am, to my betterment or chargrine(I am at least fairly aware of the possiblilty of the misspelling of this wordf), I can't, at the moment. tell which, like the VdF. One of the few, my friend. I love the K53. I think that for my $, I'm gonna stick with that for the time being.

again and again,

sand

I enjoyed/enjoy the VdF I bought early last year. Probably not an outright favorite, but it beats the tar out of some of the others I have. I will buy it again, but for the same money...

The first release of VdF didn't age well.

Grim, when was the first release? I suppose I could dig it up, but if you could be so kind... Moreover, how many batches/lots have be produced? I take it they are different to some degree or has it settled into some sort of consistency?

The second release was pretty close chronologically to the first. Just a few months I think. I think most of the opinions here are based on the second version.

Only two production runs so far?

At such small volumes, I'm beginning to wonder if a bottle of any variety produced now will be collectible (and correspondingly valuable) in a few years...

I like the VdF just fine no matter what y'all say. I don't notice anything weird about it. Although the end of the bottle was a little bit...funky in smell, taste, and color.

Had a glass of the VdF last night, just to see as it's been a little while (maybe a month) since I've had a glass. I still really like it, at least as much as I like Montmartre, though different. As far as vertes go though, I'm looking forward to bringing back a few bottles of Jade from Paris...then I guess we'll see how I feel about VdF.

A attribute favored in regards to vintage bottles...one year no, but vintage bottles yes.

Sorry, Plunger, I should have added the :sarc:, but I figgered it was understood. :devil:

I was right there with you, my good fellow!

Feuille mort may develop in even a very young absinthe, the color of some vintages goes far beyond a yellowish tinge to an earthy brown.

Feuille mort may develop in even a very young absinthe, the color of some vintages goes far beyond a yellowish tinge to an earthy brown.

The feille mort that the old VDF developed after a few months was no yellowish tinge, nor was the scotch brown color of the Absinthe Duplais sample that Markus sent me, which had a green/gold color originally, and turned brown within a few days.

Justabob, to clarify I meant that even if Feuille mort occurs in younger absinthes, it may not be good to the flavour. Of course, the VdF in this changed state tastes pretty much the same to me.

Since Feuille mort cannot (presumably) develop in a blanche, does said blanche age in the same manner? I broke out my Kallnacher last night and it seems to be less desirable than when I first aqquired it. Seems less balanced with the wormwood way too out in the front. All the vertes I have had for over a year taste the same. Anyone out there ever had a vintage Blanche?

I've always been curious about vintage blanches myself. To my knowledge, none have ever been on the market, though. I'm sure Oxy could set the record straight.

Only two production runs so far?

No, the first run was filtered, the second and subsequent runs were not.

Indeed.

The first run (filtered) was full of sediment.

The next run (unfiltered) has none.

My screw top VdF still sucks with age.

I really used to like this stuff..

Shame.