hectma

Show Off Your Gear

It so happens I have a cristal bubble glass (now confirmed to be of spanish make, but genuine all the same) on which my Joanne used to sit with difficulty, what with it having too wide a diameter at the stem.

At least now there is a spoon, this one, resting quietly on it :)

You know, often, in my dreams, I have a scene on a flea market where I find spoons with shapes never seen before. Two things happen then : first I live the dream, then, quickly, it's the scene that helps me understand I am dreaming. (true story)

Thank you Marie Claude Delahaye, knowing your book helps me keep rationnal.

But right now... I am waking up and definitely feeling strange :)

It so happens I have a cristal bubble glass (now confirmed to be of spanish make, but genuine all the same) on which my Joanne used to sit with difficulty...

If I had any idea I be biting my tongue bloody to not pop off with a response to that... I'd have resisted clicking.

On the other hand, a perverted giggle isn't a bad way to start a Saturday. :dev-cheers:

To find an amber topette with a bouchon is a great thing! That price is crazy low!

As far as that Frenay, well, it was a long journey for you to find one, and

I'm really happy for this victory!

(Yes, there was an epic battle from what I see).

Congratulations again! :thumbup:

Last spoon you really wanted....yes... I could stop at any time if I wanted to....I'll just have one more glass - oh yes, and that poster.... and a couple of spoons then I'll also have every thing I'll ever want. And one more carafe.

(Yes, there was an epic battle from what I see).

With Swedish heavy metal in the background. No ill feeling besides, I knew the man would hit hard too. I hope he does not resent me too much too.

Last spoon you really wanted....yes... I could stop at any time if I

wanted to....I'll just have one more glass - oh yes, and that

poster.... and a couple of spoons then I'll also have every thing I'll

ever want. And one more carafe.

That's the trick there, I'm a cocain-addict living in Columbia. The stuff comes cheaper, so you can still have your fix without the hurt on the wallet, provided you don't only deal in the 100% pure and refined.

Bump. This probably isn't the perfect place to post a potential fake but I didn't want to start a new thread over this. I have this pyrogene that I suspect isn't what it purports to be. I know that there were several models of Oxygenee match strikers but I have not been able to find a photo of one exactly like this. The striker is not curved enough and the base has a wider angle than most of the examples I've seen. On top of that the lettering is fairly crooked. I didn't pay a lot for it so it's no big deal either way, but that only adds to my suspicions. Can any of the experts here weigh in on this? I know that these things get faked a lot but I haven't seen any documentation of fakes of this particular type.

post-318-0-78966100-1373334472_thumb.jpg

I've been picking up a few original spoons. Aside from great rarities, I'm surprised at how reasonable some originals are, especially as compared to the first (overpriced) repros I bought (I later found the same ones for much less online).

It's interesting to compare the amount of detail in the original as compared to the reproduction. These each cost the same, incredibly enough.

post-4189-0-62144800-1373988998_thumb.jpg

I dunno, the antique original is far superior to the replica in my opinion, but that is why I gave all the replicas away. I'd rather have a crappy old original than spend my money on a shiny new bauble. But to each his own.

I couldn't agree with you more.The original is WAY better than the repro in every way. It's just too bad I wasn't more informed when I bought my first (repro) spoons. I had no idea that nice originals were available for affordable prices. Now I only use originals.

I'll add a picture and price, for reference

P1090141MS2.JPG

This spoon is available there http://www.absintheoriginals.com/spoons.html for 40€

I dunno when you bought your first repro, but a few years back the prices for antiques were a bit out of hand as far as I can report. But well, never to the point where I would continue buying repros after my first antique ;)

There are a few repros with a fine stamping, but for an equivalent model, the antique is always better stamped.

That leaves the question of the plating or surface aspect. Some antique models, chiefly "semis d'étoiles et de trèfles" like yours, can be made in crap metal (let's call a cat a cat shall we ?) which, by no means, affects either value or usability.

It affects "desirability" though, to the untrained eye.

But, to the point : there is no lack of common antiques with a fair price (the above spoon can go as low as 5 to 10 euros if you get lucky here in France) and they are indeed of a better quality than repros, every time.

Stated otherwise : there are modern spoons with real value and real quality, only one of them I would qualify as a repro worth the money (and I'm talking about Kirk Burkett's reproduction of the Frenay, believe me, you don't want to compare prices here, it's just that you can't simply buy a Frenay :p ).

I I seem to remember being at a market in Paris with you a few days ago! After we went north to the other market, my son and I found 5 more spoons, in wonderful condition. Another in silver for 5 euro, as was one we saw together, you first, that you were kind enough to let me purchase. I'm missing you and your lovely fiancé already, my friend.

I searched long and hard for spoons at the Paris flea market (Vernaison and Paul Bert) last month but came up totally dry. (I did find a superb souvenir napkin ring from the 1878 exposition, however. Not absinthe-related but a fun and useful item)

Kirk Burkett's Frenay spoon is a lovely piece of work, though I confess that even if it is a great rarity, it is not my favorite design. One modern spoon I do like is Tempus Fugit's Jade. Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy this? None of the online links I found still work.

post-4189-0-40211700-1374090358.jpg

I hunted at the Marche de Puce in the North of Paris, at the end on the 4 line, as well as the market to the south, where we were joined by Clément.

We found nothing of rarity, but they yielded 7 nice common spoons in wonderful condition, and some cool junk that made my son feel like the trip was totally worth it... Cool old lighters and pocket knives, and crappy jewelry for his friends back home. There were at least a dozen more spoons I passed on, that would have cleaned up nicely.

You mean like this?

Yup, many thanks. Duh, I didn't even think to look on eBay. :slaps forehead: I was looking for a source for new product. But I have no problem with used.

Re: puces, I hunted through the same market at Clignancourt / Saint Ouen. I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough. Damn. Well, I guess that means I need to go back!

Here's a very cool carafe (no pun intended. Nice and heavy to withstand hard use, comfortable size, very narrow neck to allow for a gentle flow. It unscrews in the center so that chunks of ice can be inserted, but the narrow neck prevents ice from slipping out during pouring. It is hallmarked and stamped with the French patent notation "Breveté SGDG". :like:

post-4189-0-00278500-1375135308.jpg

post-4189-0-61303300-1375135322_thumb.jpg

I will miss this lovely carafe Georges.

The hallmark on the bottom ring says “Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement” (patented with no guarantee from the government).

The maker's mark (E. R. with a rose in the middle) on the top ring could well stand for Ernest Roz, he was a jeweler who started in 1887 in Paris (207 boulevard Saint-Martin).

On top of that the lettering is fairly crooked.

Indeed! OXYGENEE should be straight and not that thick, here is an authentic one: http://www.absintheoriginals.com/others.html

P1000736ms2.JPG

Edited by Marc