hectma

Show Off Your Gear

Do any pictures or postcards of this giant bottle exist?

Dunno, but since it's quite Absomphesized™, we may have a clue as to where its content disappeared...

And indeed a fine meeting it was :)

Three members of the WWS (among other) were there : Marc, Maximiliano and yours truly

Edited by Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

I found a 3 column write up about the 1895 Bordeaux Exposition in a San Francisco Newspaper. (California wines were on expo)

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn8...nge&index=0

Some of the buildings are described, but I could not spot anything about the giant absinthe bottle tower. :3869-sadbanana:

Maybe a French newspaper archive might have something of a drawing or written description.

We have found a lot of documents but none of them show the giant bottle.

But we may have a theory with the monument located in front of the Bordeaux Exposition :

120522120135129930.jpg

The monument was not yet finished when the Exposition started in May 1895, early pictures and etchings of the Exposition show that it was not that big and a flag was on top, not an angel :

120522091344736529885028.jpg120522091343736529885027.jpg

So the theory is that Terminus had installed a giant bottle around the monument for a few days/weeks only, that's why we can't find any picture or etching showing it.

Nice pic and yes, it has been a minute!

I like the upturned tins used as stands in order to raise the glasses closer to the robinettes!

After a LOT of searching and biding my time, this what I call mine right now. I have sold a lot of things to be able to afford it all and have wheeled and dealed my way to what's here. I just acquired the bookcase a while back. I was told it was 1890s-1900. After working some lighting into it, it fits my needs very well. I have a few odds and ends incoming, but right now, this is about everything.

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Nicely done! Great set up!

Thanks for sharing!

Any chance you can take a better picture of the dark green glass on the right of the top shelf? Is that a torsade glass?

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Our dining room table is right across from the collection, so I often sit at the table and stare at everything :twitchsmile:

Scott, I use every piece that I have! As much as I enjoy just looking at everything, I find it all that much more satisfying to use it.

Any chance you can take a better picture of the dark green glass on the right of the top shelf? Is that a torsade glass?

Sure, I can try to get a better photo of it. Yep, it is a torsade... a pretty small one too. I measures out to a perfect half dose. A Les Grillagee 2 and 3 fits into its opening perfectly. Here are a couple more photos:

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

The bubbles in that little green torsadé are beautiful. Kudos to you brother, for using what you've collected...otherwise, these things aren't living the life they were made for. Good meeting you here!

If you ever have the need/desire to part with that small green Torsade glass, drop me a PM. I prefer smallish glasses and that would fit in nicely. And, I would certainly use it. Cheers!

Nice to meet another nut-job. You have some wonderful pieces. I hope you use them!

:cheers:

What he said.

You certainly brightened up our little insane asylum today. :cheers: