hectma

Show Off Your Gear

Repro accessories are just fine. There are some dandy items that are well built and moderately priced. That leaves you with more money for booze. I'm never ashamed of drinking from a plastic tumbler or dripping water from a chilled water bottle.

I've broken my fair share of vintage glassware and the stuff rarely gets less expensive.

Enjoy your booze with friends and impress them with your choice of absinthe versus...."I'd let you try one of my vintage glasses but you're clumsy when you drink". :devil:

:cheers:

OMG Bill......so true.......so true.....!!!

and with 3 little ones at home.... vintage anything is just an expensive accident waiting to happen........

i will take your wise counsel and invest in good drink.........

You'd be surprised how inexpensive some antiques spoons are on Ebay France! Common torasde glasses and spoons can be had for the same price as new ones! The rare stuff is quite costly, and often fake (whichis why a good dealer is important for that stuff) but I have several lovely Torsade glasses that only cost 10-15 each!

About the only thing really vintage at my house that I know for sure is my Precious. I'll be home in an hour and that will make two things. The rest could all be fakes. Why risk it unless you have casual money laying around.

I don't believe in casual money. It all has a job to do.

Remember that in Europe, 100 years is not that much. Absitnhe was VERY popular less than a century ago, and folks are not going to throw nice glasses because of the law. So it stands to reason that there might be a fair bit of glasses and spoons out there, and since absinthe is not very popular, cheap.

You want a headache, own some Baccarat stuff. My dad has what is left of my Great grandfather collection that he bought at the 1900 world fair. You look at it, and it breaks! No thank you, I'll stick to my Rochere pontaliers.

You'd be surprised how inexpensive some antiques spoons are on Ebay France! Common torasde glasses and spoons can be had for the same price as new ones! The rare stuff is quite costly, and often fake (whichis why a good dealer is important for that stuff) but I have several lovely Torsade glasses that only cost 10-15 each!

Scott, good suggestion!! I've never thought of looking at eBay France....... :thumbup:

If you do this Rammer, just be really careful. There's a lot of crap and fake stuff on Ebay. You need to know what you're looking at. Antique Torsades are quite common, and that's the way I'd go if I were you.

Usually there are more than one up, sometimes a pair, and even more in one auction. Shipping to the USA shouldn't be more than 20-25 euros, tops.

I can't stress enough however, the importance of using someone like Marc at the Musee boutique for more substantial pieces. Bill is right that there's nothing wrong with repro stuff! I use both. My next tasting party in May is going to be all antiques, for everyone, even the klutzes. (Don't get me wrong, if folks start getting TOO wobbly, I'll bring out the repros! Many folks wind up with a pair of glasses and spoons, and stop. It can be nice having just that for special occasions...I have to warn you though, that's how I started, and look what happened.... :twitchsmile:

thanks, Scott.

you are right about getting hooked. i am a newbie. i thought just staying with repros was going to satisfy me. but after seeing the antiques...it just makes you want to go ferret them out and buy them. luckily what is keeping me in check is the cost...

you are a brave man to put out your antiques when it comes to a party. perhaps for two or three close friends...... but some people just get too carried away at parties...

if they only made plastic pontarlier glasses..........hmmmmmm

Edited by rammer

Shudders me rudders with the thought. I'd soomer louche up a glass in one of my ceramic sippy cups.

Edited by baubel

I've drank absinthe out of keg cups and tupperware cups before and I swear it doesn't taste the same as using glass.

Edited by Phoenix

I poured some high proof absinthe in a plastic jar once. I couldn't pour it out fast enough. The plastic just spider webbed and crumbled to pieces. Glass is good.

Most of the tastings I've attended had the absinthe already louched for serving. Of course there would be a glass being louched for educational purposes but samples were from a larger vessel and already diluted. Much more efficient for serving a group.

This tasting was done by nice folks, who did not seem to know a whole lot about absinthe. The owner seems to like a strong bite from her drinks, so the ratios were close to 1:1 to 1:2 booze:water. On the positive side, I got very friendly. :)

I dunno...I had a glass that ended up being 1:1 the other day with a bit of sugar. Normally I would have been horrified (had I known it was 1:1 before I tried it) but my mouth was too happy to deny. All because someone decided to mix it until "it looked right." :cheerz:

There are some absinthes that are fine at 2:1....Some have a low alcohol level, and are meant to have less water for this reason.

Emile 45 for instance, with a low ABV of 45 gets pretty thin fast if you much past 2.5:1. I wouldn't go lower than 2:1 with it, but it's pretty tasty in this zone.

I ran that by Ted, he explained there is a reason why absinthe is bottled at high proof. With the highproof alcohol, the plant extracts will go bad. Makes sense to me.

Wow Clement, I'd only ever seen the rendering of that one on an old catalog page - nice score, and thanks for posting pics!