hectma

Show Off Your Gear

This is an original print removed from the April 1889 issue of Harper's New Monthly Magazine. Shitty photo, but the print is in perfect condition (although I have yet to get around to framing it):

post-140-1215799824_thumb.jpg

post-140-1215799655_thumb.jpg

They look they have come to speak to our leader.

MThuilli, one day I'm sure you will. For now, I need to provide food, shelter and clothing (actually I'm saving for a NY/LA trip).

Vintage Legendre's Drug Store bottles, during prohibition, certain people in New Orleans would order late night bottles of J.M. Legendre's prescription alcohol & herbal remedy.

post-35-1216149392_thumb.jpg

You could say these are early HG bottles.

LegendreDrugStoreBottlescopy.jpg

Finally bit the bullet and bought something to use as a bar. I got tired of losing more and more counter space in my kitchen. Will still use the kitchen for absinthe, because I don't want the water spatter on the wood and the wall here. Still, it's a start. The bottom shelf has enough height that my tallest bottle still has 3inches clearance. I should be able to keep a couple of cases of liquor on it.

Since the photos are large, I will only paste links.

http://myweb.cableone.net/arcanna/images/bar1.jpg

http://myweb.cableone.net/arcanna/images/bar2.jpg

I really like the lightness of it, and it looks great in that spacious room. Terrific find.

Vintage Legendre's Drug Store bottles.....

This post slipped by me....those are beautiful. Did you get to the Legendre house when you were in NOLA?

Who's the gent in the ice-cream suit, with the hat? All those old New Orleanians had a rascally gleam in their eye.

Still catching up from NOLA, not enough time, and I had to leave early.

Brooks, I can't believe you don't recognize Huey. :devil:

Too much to do prevented me from stopping by the old house, I have to go back and do some on the ground work there on the Herbsaint project.

I did receive a very kind gift from Stan Schwam retired VP of Sazerac, and Kevin Richards brand manager for Herbsaint, I'm still stunned over this.

vintageglass.jpg

Stan also gave me these unused Herbsaint labels from 1958.

Labels.jpg

The capper was when Ray Bordelon handed me this label from Legendre's Drugstore. :twitchsmile:

sacredherbcopy.jpg

My head is still spinning, and half the pictures I took in NOLA were out of focus.

I'm in SHOCK!

Did your ship come in, or what?!

I had no idea Legendre made glasses and brouilles. Did you? They're gorgeous. The L'Herbe Sainte label is fantastic.

(I almost said Huey — really, I did! — and then I thought no, Huey was stockier.)

Wow, beautiful glass and beautiful photo! The dates you mention (while totally in keeping with Herbsaint) blow my mind; I feel like I'm looking at something 100 years old at least, not 50!

Wilson, is it strange that I spent more time looking at your media setup then your liquor setup? Both are nice, I just found my eye drawn to your earphone holder... :cheers:

That is a Plantronics Bluetooth headphone. I can pair it to a phone, or use it with the little bluetooth adapter that comes with it. It plugs into a headphone jack on my stereo system, or on my iPod. I use it to watch a movie loud without disturbing my neighbors in the apartments around me. Sometimes, I use it to listen to MP3s on my computer while sitting on the porch watching the birds. When paired with a bluetooth adapter on my PC, I can use the Pause, and Next Track buttons on the headset to switch to the next song. I can also control the volume and answer the phone from the buttons on the right ear piece.

They are On Ear and pretty comfortable. I have worn them for several hours at a time without pain. I did have to stretch them out a bit though. They were a bit tight till I did that. They have no shortage of bass. I have had them for about 2 years now and the batteries are still good. The battery is not easily replaceable, but I can use a soldering iron, so I don't worry about that. The stand recharges them.

They are not cheap, but the name Plantronics says it all.

http://plantronics.com/north_america/en_US...0035/pulsar590a

The price was right, so I bought this glass up the other day.

post-1255-1217091610_thumb.jpg

It is a very heavy glass with a dose mark at the 1oz. I thought it was an absinthe glass, but I wonder because it is only 4oz total.

Either way, it will fit in my collection just fine!

Yep, it would be hard to miss the 3:1 ratio! It just seems like most glasses are a little larger to maybe hit that 4:1, or so.

Densimeter Absinthe A. Junod :

IMG_6970MS.jpgIMG_6947MS.jpg

Handwritten "Pontarlier" top right, and "72° Junod Doubs 50CL" inside the bottle :

IMG_6950MS.jpg

Alcoholometer Absinthe Junod :

IMG_6974MS.jpgIMG_6952MS.jpg

Being unemployed, I'm easily amused.

I just found the below - I'm guessing it was a samovar and thank god it was apparently never used for coffee - at the thrift store for $4. Whee!

2754300487_5181d02177.jpg?v=0

Sure, I can't see the ice-water inside but it's a damn sight more portable than my glass "fountain" (a two gallon sun-tea jar) and it's kinda cute in it's way. Aside from those handles. I wish I could remove them but that would make transportation a bit tricky. Maybe I'll replace them... To the hardware store!

I'm thinking about spray painting it enamel-white and stenciling it with an art-nouveau-ish stencil I have on hand. Anyone got any tips for prepping supershiny metal? Else I'm just hittin' it with my good ol' grey primer and hoping for the best...

- Johanna

PS - yes, I'm still alive. Barely.