hectma

Show Off Your Gear

Yes, I agree.

Great stuff here. Between mthuilli and mindshifter alone, I can only imagine the value. Hope all is insured. Can all be insured (particularly the unopened bottles)?

Lovely goblet, T!

It was probably all-purpose, or designed for water, but hey, absinthe is mostly water after the louche. :devil:

You do get the most enviable toys. Thoughtful of you to try and highlight its shortcomings by placing four beautiful glasses and saucers around it.

Bastard.

I've been wondering about the JR fountains. Are they pre-ban?

Some are, some are not, hard to say as they were all signed the same and used for absinthe and later for pastis.

First time I see a portable JR with non-folding spigots though, not really portable ;)

Something I've just remembered in order to identify a pre-ban foutain. It is not a 100% sure method but it works with all fountains I've seen so far.

Pre-ban: the glass bowl is larger at bottom

Legler-Pernod-Full-275x514.jpg

Post-ban: the glass bowl is larger at top (like on mine)

I was at an antique store last week and found this.

post-1255-1194490029_thumb.jpg

The saleswoman told me it was a - Inoxydable spreader. She couldn't explain the holes in it or why the handle has the bend in it.

It says Inoxydable on the back. I believe that means stainless.

Of course, I bought it. I told her, I might know what it is! ;)

That is excellent, LeRoy!

Once again, not mthuilli quality nor even absinthe-specific but sold to me (for a badly sung song) as c1830:

New_Glass_1.jpg

pre-louche

New_Glass_2.jpg

louched

They have a beautiful crystal ring to them as the spoon stirs the absinthe. Lovely little things.

c1830? That's pretty spectacular if it's true! Do have a blacklight to test them? Even clear glasses should glow a little green in blacklight if they were made in the 19th century. I hope so, 'cause they're very pretty glasses. It would be great if they were really 180 years old!

I have a several reasons to visit your town but an invitation to join you in the Pirate Room is the best yet! :pirate:

I don't know anything about glasses and much less about trying to put a date on them but this is what I got:

New_Glass_3.jpg

Regardless of the age, they're very sweet glasses and I paid very little for them. I couldn't possibly be disappointed.

Well, I'm disappointed...in the photo. There is a slight green under the blacklight that looks blue in the photo. When I added the goblet (scroll up) that was reportedly from the 1880s, there is a beautiful, bright, vibrant green glow that is barely visible in the photo:

New_Glass_4.jpg

New_Glass_4.1.jpg

And the more traditional photo:

New_Glass_5.jpg

I think I'll just love them the way they are, very old, not so old or Absomphe and me old.

I love the glasses, I will be going to IKEA tomorrow!

I also love everyone's inventive stuff for fountains and the like. Great ideas. :cheers:

On the topic of trailer park absinthiana on a budget, these are my new glasses for now.

$7.99 a six-pack...you can toss the occasional one in the fireplace [1] if you have the hankerin'

I love Swede-Mart Ikea

[1] provided, of course, you *have* a fireplace.

Glowing even just a little green is all it takes, T! It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but if they glowed greenish in person, then you have very old glasses!

Manganese was used in the manufacture of glass prior to 1915. (apparently the year a lot of things got banned)

Manganese in the glass causes a reaction with UV, so that it will glow a little green in blacklight, though not nearly as strongly as ouraline glass. Long term exposure to UV light can apparently cause the glass to develop a slightly violet hue, even in sunlight.

Modern glass is either completely inert in UV light, or glows a vibrant, pretty blue, depending on what additives are used in making it.

Here are several glasses of different types. The glass in the closest foreground is a modern Pontarlier replica glass. The two glasses in the back are antique Pontarlier glasses, the two on the outside are antique cordon glasses, and the one in the center is a modern cordon replica, from LdF.

1945956410_cefe8dc8d1.jpg

Under the UV light, you can see that all the antique glasses get a faint green glow, the modern cordon gets a pretty blue glow, and the modern Pontarlier repro goes completely dead.

1945956428_c79bc8623c.jpg

New glass. Got two of 'em today. They are very large, and quite heavy. Wait, am I talking about myself? :devil:

DSC00133.JPG

I think the design of the glass would go great with the See Saw dripper.

I got my Lady Fountain just the other day. I have been drinking absinthe every day now, just to watch the fountain as it drips water at exactly the rate I select. Very pretty fountain. Damn thing is still too tall though, and even at a slow drip rate will still splatter sugar water all over the place. I have to wipe the countertop after every dose. Overall very nice fountain, but the only other complaint I have about the fountain is that the glass reservoir is not directly centered over the middle of the base. As a result if I have anywhere near a reservoir full of water the arms will bend slightly and tilt the reservoir noticeably. What the Frenchman needs to work on is having the reservoir centered perfectly AND the arms holding the thing to be completely vertical so that the force of gravity goes straight down the arms instead of causing them to bend.