cactus

LdF's "private courier" shipping

Good afternoon everyone!

Can someone tell me if the "private courier" needs a signature? Will they just drop the package off?

For anyone in the Southern California area; how long does it take from the time shipment is confirmed to the box on your front doorstep? Should I NOT count on my order this weekend if my shipment was confirmed on Thursday? Is it okay to cry?

I apologize in advance if I've annoyed anyone.

~Impatiently Awaiting in Los Angeles

:unsure:

Flying monkeys usually take special instructions for delivery like "leave on doorstep if no one is home." I ordered from LDF yesterday and that box was pre filled out. I erased it since I do not want them to leave it on the doorstep. Sometimes, dispite LDF's instructions, the flying monkeys take matters into their own hands... paws... whatever and this can lead to pbms. Usually LDF comes to the door in 3 to 5 days. I have never had to sign for it.

It looks like it is taking longer reciently due to security and heavy ordering issues.

Yeah, they are delayed a little because (they said this, not me) of the article in the New Yorker. My order was confirmed Thursday as well I believe and I am hoping for tomorrow, but counting on Monday or Tuesday.

They NEVER get to me past their 5 day deadline, and sometimes in 3; however, you are on the other side of the country, so it will take longer to get to you.

In regards to the signature issue: the monkeys dropped the package off twice, and then once when I wasn't home took it back to the shipping hub with them for delivery the next day. I went to pick it up from the monkeys and wondered exactly why they had not left it, but forgot to ask. I was too distracted by the fact that monkeys could run a whole shipping plant in New jersey... :blink:

Anyway, Mon or Tue would be my guess. Good luck.

What did you order?

shinsain-

I ordered the Nouvelle-Orléans. I hope this is a good introductory bottle.

Here's another question: Can you mix Absinthe with other liquors? Is there a little rhyme comparable to, "liquor before beer, you're in the clear" Or does anything go?

cactus

I've never noticed any side effects like that. One of my friends once had a bunch of wine and tried some absinthe and woke up with a nasty hangover. She blamed it on the absinthe, of course, but I'm not so sure...

Well, I mean, opinions are different for everyone. I personally (compared to Hiram, Absomphe, et. al.) am a n00b when it comes to absinthe. I do not like the Jade Verte Suisse, but have not tried the NO, or the other kind from them. Many will say that you made a good choice, however, from my tastes of the VS I have to say that the Jades are a might overpriced. That said, I am a simple man and don't always buy into hype and price - however many people regard these to be very good in their own respect.

I would not suggest mixing absinthe with other stuff. I get that question from my friends a lot and my reply is "If you generally don't like the taste of whiskey or vodka, do you mix it with other stuff to see if you like it with that?" And the answer is usually "no."

I have a very deep love (developed in the last year an a half of course) of all things absinthe. And this, to me is like many other things I love: I am a purist. I like absinthe becasue I like its different flavors and iterations. I like it because it tastes a little different with each batch. I like it because it has some amazing history behind it. I like absinthe for the drink itself as well. And it is with this thought in mind that I choose not to use sugar or other things so that I can get the full and true taste of each and every drink. If I'm sampling, I use different glasses for each sample, if I'm trading tastes via mail, I boil the bottles I use so they're sanitary. Things a little more anal than some (I imagine).

So, sorry so long, you might have been able to tell I've had a few tonight...

I am most likely NOT the one to ask for that information. However I will say that N-O is not a bad first time purchase. However, if you don't like it, understand that there are many, many different tasting absinthes out there and that NO is not the be-all, end-all of absinthes. Keep an open mind to new things and try the crap so you can respect the good stuff.

Ouch, that was long. Sorry.

Aaron

Being a beginner myself, I have tasted a mere ten different absinthes so far, and I can tell you I was blown away by the NO. Everyone in the party was totally euphoric about it. I think it is a highly priced, yet price worthy (praiseworthy!) absinthe and I guess you will not be disappointed.

Have never experienced any kind of hangover from absinthe, not even after quite heavy drinking. With wine, on the other hand… *hello timbermen* :dead:

shinsain~

I do appreciate the information, regardless of length. I feel I must clarify. I don't intend to actually mix absinthe with any other alcohol, in the same glass. What I meant was, if I have a couple of glasses of wine, or what have you, at dinner and then some absinthe when I get home, am I going to get sick?

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear. Beer before liquor, never sicker.

Martin Lake~

So, does this mean I should stay away from hard alcohol when drinking absinthe. No gin and tonic at dinner?

Thanks for the info, everyone.

cactus

Martin Lake~

So, does this mean I should stay away from hard alcohol when drinking absinthe.  No gin and tonic at dinner? 

Thanks for the info, everyone.

cactus

No, I just couldn't think of anything to rhyme with whiskey. In my admittedly limited experience with absinthe, though, you can mix it with other alcohols with no problem.

:shock: Ive had only bad luck mixing red wines and absinthe the same evening,especially it was always the next day that it really seemed to catch up with me,a stomach upset would kick in that next morning..but mixing most hard stuff with it the same evening on numerous occasions seems not to be detrimental;and indeed helps to stretch the lifespan of my absinthe orders out.The N.O. is excellent stuff..bty :drunk: Drinkboy may have more info on the real mixing/combo philosopies.. :P

"Never absinthe and creme de menthe"?

"Beer and absinthe will make you denthe"?

"Make the call, wine or absinthe/ don't drink it all, nor sit on the fenthe"?

I dunno. I personally have no anecdotal experience with ill effects with mixing different beverages in the same drinking session, or in any particular order. Instead, the factors seem to be more along the lines of non-alcoholic volume (liquid as well as solid) consumed vs. total alcohol consumption.

144 proof sounds pretty hard to me.

It depends. A relatively high alcohol content, certainly. Yet, I would find it difficult to believe that you haven't enjoyed a glass or two that was graceful, subtley nuanced and could never be described as "hard."

Cactus, are you in Marina Del Rey (pic)?

You picked an interesting Absinthe to start with.

very intriguing. the picture was taken in santa barbara, but i did live in marina del rey. why is that an "interesting" absinthe to start with?

cactus

I have yet to really have problems mixing absinthe with anything. Although I will tell you this: since most of us don't consider absinthe "hard" alcohol (I guess the difference being *this* hard alcohol has more than one dimention to it...?), it will sneak up on you. That said, I love wine, especially red - and mixing the two is not the best idea I've ever had, so you might take that into consideration.

In fact, I'm a fan of absinthe, then beer (trappist, Belgian of some kind) then some more absinthe, etc. and so on. Those taste good together in my mouth.

Is that a little more on topic? Boy am I glad you didnt' mean mixing absinthe with other stuff, I was getting worried there!

Start worrying. There are many highly praised Absinthe based or Absinthe added coctails floating around out there (or in here even). Do I remember something about a Fuzzy French Whore?

Oh, no worries mate. I know they exist - but by giving name to them, we give them power, brother. Down with absinthe coctails! Down with sugar!

Damn the man!

Fight the power!!

Rage against the Czech Absinthe Machine!!!

(PS - I distinctly remember Hiram mentioning something to me a while back about the infamous "Slurpis")

Flying monkeys usually take special instructions for delivery like "leave on doorstep if no one is home."  I ordered from LDF yesterday and that box was pre filled out.  I erased it since I do not want them to leave it on the doorstep.  Sometimes, dispite LDF's instructions, the flying monkeys take matters into their own hands... paws... whatever and this can lead to pbms.  Usually LDF comes to the door in 3 to 5 days.  I have never had to sign for it.

They certainly ignored all my instructions; and I'm lucky the box was still sitting on my doorstep when I got home.