bal-de-vis

Greetings, effete snobs!

...although you can’t be too snobbish at this forum – you just let me join. Good god, people, have you NO standards?. I’m a neophyte to absinthe, but am awaiting my (delayed, I found out today) order from LdF. But I was always interested in the subject of absinthe. I’d seen “the ritual” portrayed in old movies, but wasn’t aware that the ban was actually still in effect after all these years – I just thought that it was a forgotten artifact of the 19th century. On getting an email from a vendor of odd surplus items I came across something they described as an “absinthe bottle.” This reminded me of my interest in the subject, and Google eventually led me to this site, along with a lot of BS sites on the subject. I like the mix of people here, and I like reading the good sense and straight talk about absinthe on display. I never read that New Yorker article, but LdF is blaming it for their recent inability to get orders out quickly.

I look forward to sampling the bottle of Edouard 72 I ordered. I understand it’s pretty strong stuff, so I guess I’ll cut it with some Diet Dr. Pepper or something. KIDDING, KIDDING – don’t get all wrathful! I’ll probably be very anal-retentive about getting the mixing technique right, at least at first. Considering the cost of getting it here to Chicago, I wouldn’t want to waste any.

From what I’ve read, it appears that the Edouard is a good choice. You’ll probably laugh at me, but I changed my order from the Nouvelle-Orléans I originally ordered (the delay in delivery facilitated that) after reading a comment on another site about it tasting like “licking the inside of a stripper’s shoe.” I know the Nouvelle-Orléans is considered a masterpiece by some people, but that comment just put me off a bit – can’t imagine why.

Anyway, sorry if this is too verbose. Should I piss off now?

Mum: "Aww... what's this, a bottle of vodka for me birfday then?"

Son: "Yea..."

Mum: "Well it's empty! What's this now?"

Son: "PISS OFF, MUM!!!"

Welcome. :cheers:

Thanks. You know, I ordered a new computer a week ago, and just got an email from the vendor saying it will be delivered this Friday. I got so worked-up over this absinthe order of mine that I completely forgot about it. I hope I don't pour water into it to see if it will louche.

Welcome from a fellow Chicagoanite! :cheers:

Whatcha got against licking the inside of a stripper's shoe, anyway? In some circles, that's where the fun begins.

I ordered a new computer a week ago, and just got an email from the vendor saying it will be delivered this Friday.  I got so worked-up over this absinthe order of mine that I completely forgot about it.  I hope I don't pour water into it to see if it will louche.

Hope you didn't get one of those Czech brands, like "King of Computr"

Thanks again, gentlemen and ladies.

...and Hiram - I should have known that my user name would be immediately understood here. At another forum I belong to the members argued with me about what it actually meant. Nice guys there, but dumbasses sometimes. So - as I expected, you're obviously well familiar with that comment about Nouvelle-Orleans. Are those people completely full of crap about that, or what? By the way, your avatar is the ugliest picture of Ron Howard I've ever seen.

bal-de-vis,

Have you ever been to Cafe Absinthe in chi-town?

I'm sure they just serve pastis....but I'm still curious to see what the place is like.

So - as I expected, you're obviously well familiar with that comment about Nouvelle-Orleans.  Are those people completely full of crap about that, or what?

The Nouvelle-Orléans is among the best comercially available absinthes, but that doesn't mean that everyone likes it.

Negative comments on absinthe can basically be of two kinds. One is simply about complete crap that isn't even absinthe. The czech stuff, home-made macerates of wormwood in Everclear etc. That kind of stuff is Crap with a big C, and that's a definitive, scientific, absolute God-given Truth. If your tastebuds happen to like it, they're wrong.

Then there are comments on drinkable absinthe; decent absinthe; absinthe that was the best available a few years ago but is now overshadowed by something else; good absinthe with some kind of funky/weird/gym sock/stripper's shoe taste that happens to put you off; really well-made and top-of-the-line absinthe where you just don't like that particular flavour profile; the best available absinthe that just happen to be overshadowed by something not-so-available you've once had the opportunity to try - etc, etc.

I like the Nouvelle-Orléans, but among the Jades, I prefer Verte Suisse. Most seem to prefer Edouard. You'll just have to try and see what you like.

Welcome :cheers:

bal-de-vis,

Have you ever been to Cafe Absinthe in chi-town?

I'm sure they just serve pastis....but I'm still curious to see what the place is like.

Hi hectma -- I'm afraid I don't go in much for trendy eateries. That kind of place gives me the willies. But then, I don't get out that much anyway. The place is not very far from me, actually, as I live in Bucktown, which is just a brief run down Milwaukee Ave. from Wicker Park. After reading some online reviews of the place, I think I'd find it a bit uncomfortable. One reviewer even complained that he spent the night hurling in an ER after dining there -- but who knows what caused that? Maybe he was licking the inside of a stripper's shoe that evening(?) Don't know about their absinthe, but since they ARE in the USA, and therefore can't sell the real stuff, I presume it isn't the real stuff.

Along with the online reviews were posted completely unrelated requests for help with absinthe recipes and home-distilling techniques. I really don't understand it. I didn't find it so incredibly difficult to get info online about what absinthe is, and why you shouldn't mess with synthesizing it at home.

The other editor where I work loves Cafe Absinthe. He says it's fantastic. Supposedly they have two absinthes on the menu. My guess would be that they mean Absente and something else. Herbsaint, maybe?

It is definitely in the trendiest part of Wicker Park, though. Deep in hipster town. A wellspring of effete snobs.

So - as I expected, you're obviously well familiar with that comment about Nouvelle-Orleans.  Are those people completely full of crap about that, or what?

The Nouvelle-Orléans is among the best comercially available absinthes, but that doesn't mean that everyone likes it.

Negative comments on absinthe can basically be of two kinds. One is simply about complete crap that isn't even absinthe. The czech stuff, home-made macerates of wormwood in Everclear etc. That kind of stuff is Crap with a big C, and that's a definitive, scientific, absolute God-given Truth. If your tastebuds happen to like it, they're wrong.

Then there are comments on drinkable absinthe; decent absinthe; absinthe that was the best available a few years ago but is now overshadowed by something else; good absinthe with some kind of funky/weird/gym sock/stripper's shoe taste that happens to put you off; really well-made and top-of-the-line absinthe where you just don't like that particular flavour profile; the best available absinthe that just happen to be overshadowed by something not-so-available you've once had the opportunity to try - etc, etc.

I like the Nouvelle-Orléans, but among the Jades, I prefer Verte Suisse. Most seem to prefer Edouard. You'll just have to try and see what you like.

Welcome :cheers:

I find that to be very well put and something newbies need to hear and understand if they are going to make the most of the info here.