Brooks

New Yorker piece

What's ironic is they are nit-picking over the grammar of an article about a somewhat divisive subject as absinthe to start with.

They need a Nut-Trip™

Must be a tough life eternally worrying about how the "lack of grammar" in everyday speech is going to doom society and degrade English into a series of primitive grunts that can no longer express lofty ideas.
An hyperbole, but I don't think that's far off the mark. Classical education is faltering. What used to be education for the purpose of training the mind, has degraded into mere vocational preparation. Why do you think the internet is so glutted with dumbasses?

It's because the world is glutted in dumbasses, and now they all have a place to meet the other dumbasses and make their collective dumbass voice heard.

Pretty much. I think before the internet, the only difference was that you could ignore the dumbasses easier. Now they all get equal voice.

And according to the old Roman grammarians, all the Romance languages are just swarming with bad, degenerate Latin. Every literate society has tried to make some claim that language change was for the worst.

Pretty much. I think before the internet, the only difference was that you could ignore the dumbasses easier.

Like the ones mistaking adjectives for adverbs?

OH SNAP!

By the way, in many American dialects, comparative adverbs are achieved by simply using the comparative adjective. :harhar:

OH SNAP!

By the way, in many American dialects, comparative adverbs are achieved by simply using the comparative adjective.  :harhar:

:pit:

Precisely. I wasn't aware we were all trying to promote our local patois around here. Should I start writing in West-Flemish?

Jehoatnieheloovewattakanheven¹.

--

¹You can't believe what *that* would yield!

Precisely. I wasn't aware we were all trying to promote our local patois around here. Should I start writing in West-Flemish?

Then I could go on in Jutlandish (the dialect of mainland Denmark).

A æ u å æ ø i æ å.

(= I am out on the island in the stream)

Then I could go on in Jutlandish (the dialect of mainland Denmark).

A æ u å æ ø i æ å.

(= I am out on the island in the stream)

Like Whizz said, this sentence is actually fully understandable, and typical of Danish - mostly vowels and as little consonants as possible. :harhar:

Put in the missing consonants and it would almost be the same in Swedish:

Jag ær ute på æn ø i æn å.

Another great Danish word is sporvognsskinneskidtskrabersjak.

The point I was trying to make is that not all non-standard usage is caused by incompetance. When one's dialect is so close to the standard dialect, it can be easy to lapse into it without thinking.

A while back when I was writing a paper for school, I used the phrase "it needs doing" instead of "it needs to be done". My mom laughed at that, but I didn't even realize it was anything out of the ordinary. Apparently that one's only good around the Pittsburgh area, but it's always sounded perfectly normal to me.

The point I was trying to make is that not all non-standard usage is caused by incompetance.

Not even all non-standard usage is caused by incompetence, and even less is caused by incompetance, whatever that may be.

Whatever it is, it's still sloppy, unless it's used in a context in which it's clear you're "writin' with a twang", which is perfectly acceptable in a forum like, e.g., the lounge.

But here, we're all trying to write in standard language, are we not?

Right, hence the OH SNAP! I gave myself. I'll give myself another one for that inane spelling mistake.

OH SNAP!

The ability to translate is vital. Interchange between a more academic standard English and the dialect of one's choosing (or upbringing) is a matter of appropriateness for the occasion.

I, for one, never expect perfection, nor do I attain it - but I certainly aspire to it. It would be highly inappropriate for me to use florid, academic speech at times, just as it would for me to "slang and twang away" at others.

Here's a basic opinion, however: it's important to take the time to try to write well, be somewhat informed, and avoid too much colloquialism. Just like in elementary school, you do get credit for trying. Some people really sound like absolute morons at times, and even look as if they're really working at doing it, though I suppose they don't to their own peer group. So long as they realize I'm not their peer group, no problem.

Although I find the ranting a little over the top, I do, to a certain degree, agree with Tbag. I find myself constantly correcting my daughter's (5) grammar. I want her to sound educated when she is an adult. This point has been brought home to me with an resounding bang this past few weeks... I am being trained at a new job, the person training me. He has a horrible attitude because the company refuses to promote him despite his incredible product knowledge. It is in large, due to this attitude- but I will not discount his lack of communication skills and his ability to sound as though his mother and sister could have been the same person. Nor can he read. It is frustrating to no end to work beside this man, especially since he has no desire to change....

Setchaseff down ratcheer n'have sum gree-its, aiight?

It does frighten me that I actually understood this!

Let me understand. The internet was blamed as well as our individual surroundings.

My grammar needs work. My punctuation is sorely lacking. My spelling is my strong suite and it is atrocious at times. I did allow myself to get lazy in chat rooms. The work I do depends largely on acronyms. More lazy.

I blame myself for the way I am. The choices were made but they should have been geared towards discipline instead of easy.

This forum has enlightened me. Having my posts corrected for spelling, punctuation and grammar do not chafe but inspire me to improve.

I tip my hat to those folks.

This isn't a rant but merely an observation.

If I didn't like it all i'd have to do is pull up my big boy pants and leave. Amazing that a simple redneck like myself can recognize and capitalize from the contents.

Thank you all.

:cheers:

Has to be heard to be fully appreciated. Part of my job is watching the local news from Bornholm. Can't help laughing when they interview some local about the avian flu or whatever.

Well dispite this threads wanderings I think the poster-base for this forum is actually pretty impressive. Having absinthe makers is pretty damn neato if you ask me. This gets kudos. You guys rock. Incomplete sentance. Toast.

:harhar:

Well dispite this threads wanderings I think the poster-base for this forum is actually pretty impressive. Having absinthe makers is pretty damn neato if you ask me. This gets kudos. You guys rock. Incomplete sentance. Toast.

:harhar: