monkeycurious

Hello From West Bumfuck

Hello all.

Some of you have seen me around with my misspelt, "Worst Absinthe Misinformation Your Have Even Heard" thread. I wish Hiram would go into the db and change that for me since I can't seem to find the edit button for the thread title. It's driving me nuts!

I joined when this was an LJ community and I was unsure if I had to introduce myself again. I am planning on attending the next event and since I have now signed up, I should probably introduce myself.

Again, I am in Victoria, B.C., C a n a d a (see how I spoof the word filter) but I will be driving down, since Seattle is pretty close the Vancouver and much closer to Victoria as the crows flies. Since I cannot fly the crow I have to go through Vancouver.

I think I also got the last 2 bottles from LdF ever delivered to C a n a d a with much ado and phoning the purveyors of the reddest tape in the world. In fact, I just had the last glass of it. :cheers:

I heard that I could get permission to import a few bottles and not an entire case, but I have yet to follow up on that. What I learned from the above experience is that half of the Liquor Board thinks Absinthe is illegal and some might actually want to help me out.

I also learned that C a n a d a Customs seems to have absolute power and I got all my bottles without duty of any kind. This is probably why there was a stop put to the whole endeavour. I'm not saying blame me, but, blame the Reddest Tape in the World.

I plan to look into why that website in Nova Scotia that can get La Fee Verte and if they would get something else as they claim they can ship anywhere in C a n a d a.

For a living, I program things, usually websites, usually with databases, not unlike this forum, (I have done a fair amount of PHP and mySQL and much more .NET now)

I would like to start branch of the society here in Victoria, but, I can't really find any serious Absintheurs here. We could order cases if we needed to with enough people thus alleviating the dry spell.

Absinthe has came to represent to me that horrible gap in "common knowledge" and the truth.

Every "knew" that it was illegal here. Everyone "knew" it was hallucinogenic, and that it caused people cut off their ears. Only it wasn't and it didn't.

I didn't know until Hiram set me straight and it starting me wondering: Were is the disconnect? And, how many other things are "common knowledge" but are completely untrue? How many things were thought to be true and are no longer?

At any rate, I look forward to the 25th of March and to seeing Seattle. I am thinking of coming a day early to maybe have a peek around, too.

I also Geocache, and their headquarters are there, and there are lots of caches in the area and on the way.

So, hello all and hopefully I will see some of you on the 25th :cheers:

I geocache a lot too... hmm, maybe combining hobbies... give the GPS coordinates to a bottle of Montmartre, maybe? You've always got a sure bet with a geocacher - don't worry about directions, just gimme the digits and I'll get close enough to smell the louche.

It's depressing somewhat that someone coming in from another country would only have to travel a fiftieth of the distance I'd have to to meet Hiram and the Seattle crew. Just steels my resolve to make it to Georgia sometime soon for the Southerners' Division of the Wormwood Society. :P (C.S.A.? Confederate Society of Absinthe?) Oh, well. I love the diversity, just wish teleporters were a little easier to come by.

Anyway, welcome back to the forum. Nice to have you here. :)

I would like to start branch of the society here in Victoria, but, I can't really find any serious Absintheurs here

They are out there, just gotta find em!Welcome back,monkeycurious! :cheers:

Welcome! :cheers:

Tish and I have been to Victoria for several glorious visits, and we can vouch for the fact that West Bumfuck is nowhere near as Bumfuckian as East Bumfuck.

The preceding was paid for by the Victoria Chamber of Commerce's Department of Travel and Tourism.

Thank you.

Welcome! :cheers: (again)

"I can't seem to find the edit button for the thread title."

Executive privilege. I'll change it for you.

Canadia sounds better than Canada. Canadia sounds like a country. Canada sounds like an STD.

We don't do branches—in fact, technically there are no members—it's a legal thing.

I didn't read thoroughly, but "geocaching" sounds a lot like high-tech Victorian Letterboxing.

Thanks for for the change!

Oh, I see the logic now! You know, I hated my trip to Chlamydia. The ate the worst food. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

And you're right, United States of Americia does sound better. If you pronouce it Ameri-see-a it sounds kind of Spanish, it gives it some zest.

You can do it will all the none "ia" ending countries and it works great.

Germania, Englandia, Francia, Polandia, Chinia, Japania, Finlandia! Oh wait, that's a musical peice!

:harhar:

At any rate, I think I meant more of a local group of people who were like-minded for social events, kind of like other people are doing around Americia. No offical members, of course.

I believe geocaching began in a Usenet Newsgroup some years ago, which may have taken its basis from Letterboxing. From what I see they are similar. I think there is a cache type that might be called classic letterbox or something like that.

Glad to be here!

Hey MonkeyC, I really like that signature. I am actually copying it down. I am often saddened when people change their avatars and sigs that they change/update in the forum history as well and the previous ones are lost. :(

P.S. for anyone else like me who never heard of Dale Pendell

"Dale Pendell is a poet, software engineer, and longtime student of ethnobotany. His poetry has appeared in many journals, and he was the founding editor of KUKSU: Journal of Backcountry Writing. He has led workshops on ethnobotany and ethnopoetics for the Naropa Institute and the Botanical Preservation Corps, and has presented at the Mind States conference. He is perhaps best known for his books of epic entheogenic poetry."

Thanks.

I actually got it out of a recipe for Absinthe I got from a friend's mother, a practicing shaman, who had made some.

The recipe, from what little I know now, looks fairly authentic. There was no colouring nor did she dilute the distillate but she just wanted to test it before she got into that stage.

Not surprizingly, the recipe came with the little poem from a well-known Spiritualist/Botanist whose life seems dedicated to trying all those plant used in spiritual ways.

Actually, religious reasons isn't a bad angle for legalization. :drunk:

I do take it as a compliment. :)

However, when I had long, wavy hair, I would catch guys trying to check me out while I drove down the highway slumped down in my in my car. When I could see that look on their face, the horrible mistake they made, turning see the beauty they thought I was and me in a full beard, I would laugh heartily at them and they would feel shame.

Now that I shave me head, when you meet me you will see why now being mistaken for a woman is truly funny for me. I guess I should have posted a picture of myself.

:laf: