Sign in to follow this  
Wild Bill Turkey

Marianne's new Clothes

The 1915 law banning absinthe is still here in France, and the absinthes sold and produced are not considered as absinthes ! Iit's really something crazy.

So, VdF is not considered absinthe? I must be missing some semantic part of this...?

What do you mean by that heuere?

I think it's something like, they are absinthes, and they are considered absinthes, but not legally. Legally they are considered 'Spiriteux aux extrait d'absinthe'. It's semantics, and pretty silly, but it's government so...

Exactly. The original Pernod Fils could probably be made and sold legally in today's France, but they'd had to call it "Spiritueux aux ..." etc., etc., instead of just "Absinthe".

Maybe but it probably isn't good for use in absinthe.

Is anyone even thinking of testing for fenchone content? It seems pretty obscure.

Actually, Mantovano is quite optimal: α-pinene, 0.51; Myrcene, 0.74; Limonene, 53.95; γ-Terpinine, 3.36; Fenchone 0.00; Methyl Chavicol, 0.82; Fenchyl Acetate, 4.61; Anethole, 28.92. What it lacks can be compensated for through careful blending with other cultivars.

Maybe but it probably isn't good for use in absinthe.

Is anyone even thinking of testing for fenchone content? It seems pretty obscure.

Actually, Mantovano is quite optimal: ?-pinene, 0.51; Myrcene, 0.74; Limonene, 53.95; ?-Terpinine, 3.36; Fenchone 0.00; Methyl Chavicol, 0.82; Fenchyl Acetate, 4.61; Anethole, 28.92. What it lacks can be compensated for through careful blending with the other cultivars.

I second the good Doctor's observation. Mantovano fennel is best used in blanches, mainly due to the high Limonene content which imparts a citrusy taste, as opposed to fenchone, which is camphorous. It's too bad Monsieur Bugnon isn't using that incredible Fennel (ZF) that was developed in his own homeland, as that contains the best of both worlds: High anethole, low fenchone.

It seems odd that even the Charlotte recipe contains too much fennel, as I hardly taste any fennel in it. It makes me wonder if perhaps he's not using florentine fennel, and that's what is putting the fenchone meter in the red in the Charlotte recipe. It does have a slight camphorous tinge, which I assumed to be from Hyssop, which can also have camphorous properties. Perhaps I am wrong.

All that info about fennel is really really interesting. Thanx guys :cheers:

Perhaps Mantovano Fennel is used in Jade products because theses absinthes are fitting the french law, including Blanchette where I enjoy the good fruity taste of the fennel :)

I wonder how Jade Edouard gets around the French law.  Or is it even sold in France?  It seems to have a lot of fennel.

From what I have seen, it seems that the Edouard is not sold in France, or the Verte Suisse either for that matter. France has the NO and the Blanchette. But I don't think that has anything to do with the fennel issue. It's more to do with bottle size and labelling...they need to create a 700ml bottle for France, and create new labels...thing is, they've done that for the NO, so I wonder why not the other two? Perhaps it does have something to do with fennel...

Haha, this is great. Is Fennel *really* that big of an issue??? I mean, does France regulate coffee too? Coffee is a stimulant...geeze. First they ban absinthe, then the un-ban it, but regulate the use of fennel. Good going guys. Good going....

:laf: