bigwhitt

Worst absinthe ever!

Hello all! For some reason, a year ago I bought a bottle of Sebor...it made me gag so I left it on a shelf...and apparently forgot about it...weird. anyway I found it while I was cleaning the other day and just for shits and giggles decided to try it again...wow...over a year it has not improved...big surprise. It is definatley the worst absinthe I have ever tried. Anyway, I was wanting to know what all of you though was the worst absinthe you ever tried? and just for fun...do some kind of critical analysis of it. Just for my amusement...

thanks,

Aaron

Sebor was my first absinthe I drank in any appreciable quantity. I vomited profusely the next day.

Sebor was also my first and the worst thus far!

Oops...I forgot about the bottle of Czech Strong I bought. It's definately worse than Sebor.

Well...I've managed to avoid most of the Czech stuff (except Hill's) but I don't even think of that as absinthe.

So with that in mind, probably the worst absinthe I've had is the Pernod 68. Still...next to Hill's it's holy water.

Never had the chance to try the Sebor, but out of all I have tried, I would say the one I liked the least would be VdF. It was alright next to nothing, but after comparing it to other CO's I would say it was the worst of the bunch. That bunch being:

La Fee

Jade VS/ED

Montmartre

Ike

CLB

Brut Alambic

Lemercier 45 (wasn't this from the same distiller as the VdF?)

Of course, it is still a good one and I should say perhaps upon second thought better than the La Fee. There is that intense bitterness in the VdF that I don't like, even after a cube of sugar.

In terms of absinth: Staroplezenecky followed closely by Elixier (the German brand). Logan Fils is pretty horrible too. Staro has to be tasted to appreciate just how rank it is. It's completely bitter and without redeeming characteristics of any kind—imagine drinking high-proof pencil shavings. Even aside from the bitterness it tastes bad.

Hills may be icky and completely unlike absinthe, but there are far worse-tasting drinks out there masquerading as absinth(e).

As for actual absinthes, Pernod 68 is pretty substandard. I have a hard time thinking of any real absinthes that I would describe as "worst." Most are somewhat mediocre but at least drinkable. I can't think of any that I spit out, like I did with the Staro, Elixier and Sebor; although I have sinked quite a few.

Czech Absinth Strong. No critical analysis because the mind blocks painful events. I remember there was no louche, much bitterness and a weird, alien neon green to the liquid.

zelena musa...tastes just like macerated absinthe before it is distilled, with the same mind-numbing bitterness that makes you want to scrape your tongue with a rusty razor...

The Oxygenée re-release and the new Pernod absinthe were both horrid in every way imaginable. Oxy tasted like sugary star anise, and the new Pernod tasted like wormwood oil mixed with pastis. BARFORAMA!

Here's a bottle I've had for nearly three years. Look how much of it is missing. I regret how much of it I have tasted. It was given to me by a very sweet girl who was so excited to be giving me a bottle of absinthe that I had to have some in front of her, and pretend that I didn't want to peel my flesh off when I tasted it.

post-209-1141420077_thumb.jpg

That vomitous concoction still gets my vote for worst commercial absinth [/i]ever...in its own hideous way, it's even more nauseating than Hills, if only because it's more sickeningly complex.

Worst I've ever had is an absinth(e?) that a friend gave me when I first got into the drink. One of her friends had brought it home from Prague in a Sprite bottle and then let it sit for three years, afraid to try it. As it turns out, her friend was wise not to touch it. Just sniffing the bottle made me recoil in horror.

Staroplezenecky. It's tatses like wormwood steeped in alcohol, because that's probably what it is.

If you look at me LL profile, I picked Absorbine Jr. as my worst absinthe.

Afterall, Absorbine Jr. is green, contains wormwood (read the label), and I found out if you add water it even louches!

But it also contains turpentine, making it undrinkable. The similarity of words "absinthe" and "absorbine" make me wonder if AJr was originally marketed to people who used had used absinthe pre-ban as a topical medicine. Turpintine may have been added to the formula to make it undrinkable, hence legal like rubbing alchohol.

Absorbine Jr. makes you Trip Balz™!!

Active Ingredients: contains: Natural Menthol (1.27%) (Topical analgesic)

Inactive Ingredients: Absinthium Oil, Acetone, Chloroxylenol, FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Yellow 6, Iodine, Calendula Extract, Echinacea Extract, Wormwood Extract, Potassium Iodide, Thymol, Water

:cheers: I have been fortunate in joining this here forum not too long ago and can say that I have not tasted any crap yet, not even HG samples I drank at the WS New Years Bash at Hirams.

I have been able to read the reviews of these illustrious members and pick the wheat from the chaff, that's not to say one day I will make something that will cause 3rd degree burns and massive shedding of skin around my mouth.

Sebor was also my first and the worst thus far!

Oops...I forgot about the bottle of Czech Strong I bought.  It's definately worse than Sebor.

Czech Absinth Strong is Sebor. Just a different lable for the Czech vs. export market.

Unlike most people here, I actually like Sebor, though I don't consider it to be absinthe.

The worst absinthe I have ever tried is an HG made by a friend's brother. There are no words to describe how nasty this stuff is. :puke: It makes any Czech absinthe seem like fine Swiss verte by comparison. I have a couple bottles to inflict on certain unsuspecting friends (one in particular, because it's almost impossible to find anything besides mass-produced American beer that he won't drink). :D

Maybe I'll bring one along if I ever manage to make it to a gathering. :devil:

As far as CO, the worst I've ever had is one of the Czech offerings, though I forget which one (not Hills).

I second what DrinkBoy said. Père Kermann's Absinthe was my first contact with the legendary green drink, I was offered it by some friends (with bitter almonds and 99 % chocolate bars as accompaniment) and by that time I thought "OK, so this is how absinthe tastes... Pity."

So far I have now tasted ten different absinthes (including two false, vile ones) and have learned what it really is about, thank goodness. That Kermann's stuff will never, ever, enter my mouth again. Yikes!

Czech Absinth Strong is Sebor.  Just a different lable for the Czech vs. export market.

Really? And to think I considered ordering Sebor, thinking it would be an up-grade to Czech Strong. Yet another reason to appreciate WS.

T73

Sorry. I have no idea what I just accomplished other than successfully

finished one FG, two BdFs and one Un Emile Blanche. Moved? Sorry.

T73

Like Wraylian I've never had the czech experience. I went to the Lounge first, and then came here, so I figured better.

Thanks all!

:cheers:

Like Wraylian I've never had the czech experience. I went to the Lounge first, and then came here, so I figured better.

Thanks all!

:cheers:

Same here. I did my research and joined up here before I bought my first bottle (Jade VS65). Apart from tasting wormwood extract (ugg) I have never tried any of the crap. I wanted to at the WS event I attended but there was too much good stuff and not enough time (or liver).

This is just about as appropriate in this thread as anywhere. New England Journal of Medicine had an article a few years back on an individual who read a little about absinthe, then bought wormwood oil and decided to drink it straight since it had the "active" ingredient in absinthe. Didn't turn out too pretty. The website mentioned in the NEJM made some pretty clear statements on what absinthe is and is not, and points users to links for good information, including WS.

The response:

http://www.gumbopages.com/nejm.html

The original article that supposedly "prompted" the wormwood oil chugging:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html

Serpis, I don't remember the abv. I lit it on fire just to hear it scream. I liked Hills better. I liked Logan Fils better, even the diesel blanche version.

Though my exposure is still limited, I'll offer this opinion:

The strangest absinthe so far: Leone

[i'll keep it if only for its novelty sake]

Least favorite: either the "La Muse Verte" or the "Moulin Verte"

[the last two not so much because they are wretched (like the concensus about most Czech stuff) but rather they are more harsh and unbalanced than the others I've tried]