Sign in to follow this  
Nepenthes

Trader Vics'!

http://www.beachbumberry.com/100dollarmaitai/

Using the finest ingredients we could find, we came up with a palate-pleasing variation on Vic's original recipe. There's just one catch: It will cost you $100.

Oh, all right, not really. A fifth of rum contains 25.5 ounces, which amortizes out to 25 drinks. So divide that C-note by 25 and you're actually paying a mere $4 per Mai Tai — about half of what you'd pay if you went to the mall and ordered one at P.J. McGillicuddy's Food 'N' Funnery. So here's your shopping list (prices will vary store by store):

One fifth Saint James 15-year Hors D'Age Rum $41.95

One fifth Appleton Estate Extra rum $23.99

One bottle Marie Brizard orange curacao $20.99

One bottle Trader Vic orgeat syrup $5.99

One bottle Trader Vic rock candy syrup $5.99

One pound fresh limes $1.29

One bunch fresh mint $1.99

-------------

TOTAL: $102.19

Preparation

And here's what to do with it all:

To make one $100 Mai Tai, crush enough ice to fill a double old-fashioned glass, and put the crushed ice in your cocktail shaker. Next, pour in one ounce of Saint james, one ounce of Appleton, 1/2 ounce of Curacao, and one-fourth of an ounce each of orgeat and rock candy syrup. Then, pour in one ounce of fresh-squeezed lime juice (we know, the Grog Log specifies 1 1/2 ounces, but for some reason, with these rums, one ounce feels right — more and the lime dominates, less and the result is too sweet). Now, drop in a lime shell and shake everything like hell for around ten seconds. Finally, pour it all into your double old-fashioned glass, add more crushed ice to fill, and garnish with a sprig of mint.

Now sip. And think not of your next Visa card statement, but your next round.

Hmmm... Mai Tais....

While Trader Vic's will give them a run for their money, I expect my favorite location for Mai Tai's will still be "Chopsticks" up in Edmonds. They use the Trader Vic Recipe... but unlick T.V., they make theirs from Scratch.

http://www.drinkboy.com/Essays/MaiTai.html

Note: If you want a "scratch" Mai Tai at Trader Vic's (ie. not using the T.V. Mai Tai Mix) you have to ask for a "San Francisco Mai Tai".

-Robert

I’m always game to run up a large tab at Trader Vics'. When I was 19, I used to date one of his granddaughters. Needless to say, the family didn’t really enjoy my company. "You ain't nowhere 'till you can pay your own way back".

We had a cool really old Trader Vic's here, until the frigging Medical Center bought the old Shamrock Hotel and razed the building.....dammit!

I wish they'd come back here.

There used to be a Don the Beachcombers in St. Paul. Sadly that was long before my time.

The Trader Vic's in the Palmer House in Chicago was a gorgeous place. I am glad I got to visit before the shut it down.

Just got back from my first trip to the new Bellevue T.V.... I was fairly surprised at the interior. I was expecting the more "stately" look that their flagship S.F. restaurant has, but instead it is sort of a nice happy medium that, and the famout T.V.s of the past.

Viva La Mai Tai!