3 replies to this topic

#1 Alcibiades

Alcibiades

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:30 AM

My first bottle of Absinthe arrived (Clandestine la Bleue), and I had a drink last night. I am having a difficult time pinpointing the flavors I tasted. The main, "up front" flavour is anise, but the finish . . . It was strange to my palate. Earthy?

How do others experience and describe the finish of Clandestine?
"Because I could not stop for Death, He kindly stopped for me. . ." -- Emily Dickinson

#2 shinsain

shinsain

Wormwood Society Drug Czar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:07 AM

The first taste I get is not anise from CLB, its more of a powdery taste. I would even go so far as to call CLB "sweet."

It is only slightly bitter to me and very ballanced.

I'm pretty sure the "earthy" flavour you're tasting is wormwood. To my knowledge, it is really predominant in Montmartre and much less in CLB. I had noted that "earthiness" about Montmartre and was told it was wormwood.

I haven't had the pleasure of chewing on any wormwood lately, so don't take my word for it.
Nay, be what thou wilt; but I will bury him: well for me to die in doing that. I shall rest, a loved one with him whom I have loved, sinless in my crime; for I owe a longer allegiance to the dead than to the living: in that world I shall abide for ever.

#3 AndrewT

AndrewT

Dances With Livers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:24 AM

The main flavour I taste in Clandestine is the fennel. If you can find some fresh fennel stalks at an upscale grocery store or something, you'll know the taste immediately. Absinthe from the Val de Travers tends to have a very crisp fennel taste that matches the taste of the vegetable well, while other strains of fennel have a different kind of presence. It's hard to explain.
-Andrew Thompson

#4 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:35 AM

My first bottle of Absinthe arrived (Clandestine la Bleue), and I had a drink last night.  I am having a difficult time pinpointing the flavors I tasted.  The main, "up front" flavour is anise, but the finish . . .  It was strange to my palate.  Earthy?

How do others experience and describe the finish of Clandestine?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The finish I am getting right now is a headache from my night of debauchery.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association